Everyone knows that this time of year is all about the 3 F’s: family, friends and FOOD!! So what does that mean? We are off our normal schedules, we are probably traveling and not eating as healthy, our workouts are thrown off and we are not as disciplined to get in the gym when we are surrounded by endless amounts of food and drinks! Well my friends I am here to tell you that you can have it all! You CAN be aware of what you are eating and how much you are working out and STILL enjoy in the holiday season!
It all boils down to one word: ACCOUNTABILITY!
Once we take accountability for our actions such as what we are eating, how MUCH we are eating, when we are working out and become away of the choices we are making we can start to regain control on the choices we make. A lot of people around the holidays get sucked into mindless eating (and especially drinking) because we are around family and friends and now FOOD and drinks become the center of attention! But guess what that’s ok- as a matter of fact that is great as long as you remain accountable for what you do in that time! Remember food is your friends- not the enemy and if you treat it as your friend and you have a good relationship with it then it can be a very powerful thing!
This time of year the average American will consume 4,500 JUST ON THANKSGIVING ALONE!! And guess what…we will also gain anywhere from 2-16 lbs between now and the New Year that we will never take off! So what can we do about that? I have a 5 FIT TIPS below for you to help you stay on track and accountable this holiday season! Follow these Fit Tips and you will be sure to have a successful holiday season WITHOUT THE GUILT (or belly)!
5 Thanksgiving Fit Tips:
- Have a Plan: Have a plan ahead of time. Even if it’s just thinking through the best choices a few hours ahead of the meal, it’s going to prevent you from making impulse decisions that you will later regret. Make decisions about what is worth indulging in and what isn’t.
- Don’t Deprive Yourself Until Dinner: Eat your normal healthy breakfast, or a small filling but smart snack before your get-together. If you’re starving, you’re more likely to lose control at the food buffet.
- Fill Up Your Plate With the Best Choices: There are actually a lot of great choices to pick from at the Thanksgiving table that you won’t have to feel guilty about! Turkey white meat is an excellent staple for your plate. It’s lean and full of protein. Sweet potatoes are another great choice as long as they aren’t loaded in butter, marshmallows, or brown sugar. Cranberries, salad, apples, broccoli, pumpkin, and even red wine are also popular. Stick to eating your veggies first, then proteins and if you’re still not full (or content) treat yourself to a bite or two of mac and cheese or pumpkin pie!
- Drink Plenty of H2O: Drinking water throughout the day will not only keep you hydrated but it will also give you that full feeling! Drinking water in between meals or your adult beverage will ensure that you will not overeat and you will also have the feeling of being more full so you don’t fill up on the treats!
- Get Right Back On Track: Take time after your dinner to take a walk around the block! Even better, plan your workout for the next day with your partner or family member so you have accountability to show up and get right back at it the next day!
Bonus Tip: Trick your mind into thinking you are eating more than you really are by opting for a smaller sized dinner plate! This will allow you to put less on your plate but have the illusion that you are consuming a lot more than you really are!
I hope these tips inspire you to stay accountable and on track this holiday season! Please share with your family and friends and maybe even get a Holiday Accountability Group going so you all can feel healthy and happy throughout this long Thanksgiving weekend!
For more of my Fit Tips please follow me on Instagram, Periscope, Facebook and Twitter: @SandiVisnov